• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heartbreaking story, need help for friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amja

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
My friend recently lost her 15 year old son to suicide this spring. A few weeks prior to his passing, she had separated from her husband. (Stepfather to the son) He had a child life insurance policy through his work. He had assured her that he would file the claim and give her the money to be used for funeral expenses. She furnished him with a death certificate and police report to complete the paperwork. She has recently found out that he received the check two months ago and has spent it to go on two vacations. Is there any legal recourse for her? The policy was through his work, so the check was written in his name. However, he had told multiple persons that he intended to give it over to her. What can she do? Needless to say, she is devastated over her loss, but now she has to find an alternative means to pay the cost that she thought would be covered by the insurance payment.

JustAPal00

Sorry, but it's his money. He was under no obligation to give it to her. However, it could be considered part of the marital assets during the divorce, at least she may get half of it later. Unless they both go broke being spiteful. My ex's little brother committed suicide when we were still together, it was very rough for my Mother In-law to deal with, my heart goes out to your friend.

Betty

It doesn't matter what he said. If he was the beneficiary of the policy (apparently so), the money was his to do with as he wished. I'm not saying he did the right thing - just that it wasn't "illegal."

I'm sorry for your friend's loss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">