• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HEAT IN APARTMENTS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LANDE

Do I have to pay rent in my apartment when there was no heat. I have only lived here for 1 month. Heat was just fixed yesterday 11-29. Or could I ask to have this months rate be prorated?

HomeGuru

Negotiate something. Was the heat not on for one month If so, tell them that you were freezing your butt and want some money off of the rent.

D

donnab

HEAT IN APTS.

I have the same situation, my family has
been without heat for 6 weeks. I think that I should be able to withhold some of my rent to cover additional heating expences, or even a reduction in rent based on the fact that I can only use half my house, so I should pay half the rent.Heating is an essential service, do I have to follow the same procedures for getting a leaky sink repaired, of can I just deduct it from my payment with a letter explaining my situation?

HomeGuru

You must follow the same procedures as required by respective State Statutes.
So do your research and put the heat on these cold-hearted landlords.
Then after you get your landlord Chess, you can sing "Chessnuts roasting on an open fire"...

I'm dreaming of a blight Christmas,
just like the one I used to know.....

[Edited by HomeGuru on 12-01-2000 at 03:15 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">