• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heat problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JoyceD

Cold in MA

I am renting an apartment in MA. My heat was included in my rent. Last year there was a real problem with the heater. The temp would not get above 46-52 degrees in the winter, after about 4 weeks of trying everything cheap he could think of my landlord replaced the heating system. 1 week later I got a letter from him telling me my heat was no longer included in my rent along with a new rental agreement to sign.With the heating season in full swing I have asked many times for him to put the storm door on and plastic or something on the windows (no storm windows on some bedrooms) he hasn't had time after three requests. Just got a bill from the Oil Co for $228 for less than 1 month's worth of oil. That is a lot more than I can handle. Does my landlord have to provide weatherization? I have to have the heat pretty high to keep the bedrooms comfortable.Any replies would be appreciated.
Thank you

HomeGuru

What L attempted to do is illegal. L must also maintain the property and it is questionable that L is doing that.

J

JoyceD

What can I do? If I go the legal route I am sure he will just make me move out. I am a tenant at will.

HomeGuru

Where is MA? I have heard of the musician Yo Yo Ma and meet my Ma.
Search the State Statutes and send L a certified letter to resolve those issues. Once you do that he can not make you move as long as you pay rent because you can counterclaim a retaliation eviction.
You are in a very good positon to use the L/T laws to your benefit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">