• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heath insurance for pregnant woman in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My husband's group is changing to a local (county) provider. We live 70 miles from his place of work, at least 60 miles from county line. I will be 35 weeks along at time new policy takes effect. Is there any FL law that would require previous insurance to continue my coverage locally? Is there any obligation for new insurance to charge HMO rates for POS service. The POS has a deductible and coinsurance. I would prefer to deliver locally as planned at current provider's rate.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While it's been over a year since I had employees in Florida, I don't recall any such law. In fact, I don't think there's a law requiring that a terminated plan continue to cover a pregnant woman in any state where I've ever had employees.

There may be a requirement that, if your current physician is out of network on the new plan, you be allowed to continue with him/her for the duration of your pregnancy. In most states I know of, however, even this much is a matter of carrier policy rather than law.

There is certainly no law requiring them to charge HMO rates for POS coverage.

Your state insurance commissioner can tell you for sure. Since you will be so close to the end of your term, you might also want to talk to someone in the Customer Service area of the new carrier and see what, if anything, they can do for you under the confines of the new plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">