• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

heath insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ACS

texas

I have heath insurance, but found another insurance Co. that is better. I will cancel my old insurance.

The new heath insurance wanted to be sure that I was not going to have any other insurance company but them.

I am wandering why. Why should they care if I pay another preimum and if I get sick, choose the policy I want to work with.

of course I can't afford both policies, but was surprized about why they would ask me this.

Thank you

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Because if you have two health insurance carriers, the two carriers will need to coordinate the benefits so that you don't get more than you are entitled to. For example, if you had a claim for $100, and one carrier would pay 80% and the other would pay 75%, and the two carriers didn't know about each other, you could conceivably submit it to both of them; each would pay, the bill would be paid in full, and you'd make $55 on the deal. That's not allowed under the policies or under the law.

BTW, if you have two policies, you don't get to decide which one to submit a claim to. It will be spelled out in the policies which one is primary and which is secondary.

ACS

Thank you cbg, and btw, thanks for all your hard work on this board. I really appreicate and learn quite a lot from you.

most sincerely,
ACS

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">