• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heir to father's estate but stepmother is control.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Even if you are the sole heir, stepmother has a claim for the intestate portion her marriage grants her. What do you mean about being legally allowed to be touched before probate court?

adjusterjack

Married people often own their assets jointly with right of survivorship. Upon the death of one spouse the surviving spouse automatically gets everything that was owned jointly and it all bypasses probate because it's all no longer part of his estate.

While you might be the sole heir to HIS estate, there may be nothing left in it to pass to you.

If something different is happening, a slightly longer explanation would be helpful.

Litigator22

I am trying to find out my father's estate is legally allowed to be touched before in probate court.
Your stepmother will have a number of rights to her late husband's assets that are separate and apart from the distribution of those assets through probate. But you aren't going to have the subject vetted here.

If you are you suspicious that his widow is concealing and/or without legal authority appropriating assets of his estate for her own purposes that would otherwise be subject to your rights of inheritance, then you need to consult with an attorney.

Sorry for you loss.

zddoodah

I am trying to find out my father's estate is legally allowed to be touched before in probate court.
An estate is an inchoate concept/entity that is not susceptible of being "touched," so you're going to need to explain what exactly you're talking about.

Also, what does the word "before" mean in this sentence (i.e., before what)?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Thread hijack: Welcome, zddoodah! Would have recognized your writing style on the moon. Glad to have you aboard. End thread hijack

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">