• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Held at gunpoint in apartment complex-apartment didnt even know about it next day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jcassandra98

We were held at gunpoint in a stairwell within our apartment a couple days ago, it took over an hour and a half for police to show up and we had no way of contacting the apartment complex. The next day we went down to talk to the apartment to ask how an armed assailment with a pistol and assault rifle got into our place of living and they had no idea that anything had even happened. The only reason we even had to take the stairs is because every single elevator was broken in our building, but whenever we told them about what happened the leasing manager said "this just happens" and then proceeded to tell us about all the security measures that she has put in. She said that we have armed guards walking around and yet not only did they not hear the event, they also failed to see the 30 police in and outside the building for 6 hours. She also said we have cameras but somehow they never caught him on any camera. She even said that we have an app that can alert everyone including the managers, and yet we have not recieved a single email or paper telling us about this. We do not feel safe in this apartment and quite frankly they do not seem to care. This was a very tramautic event for my friends and I that were held in the stairwell, and I do not understand how the apartment can say that this just happens and we should feel safe. I want to know about what kind of legal rights I have with respect to this.

ajkroy

We were held at gunpoint in a stairwell within our apartment a couple days ago, it took over an hour and a half for police to show up and we had no way of contacting the apartment complex. The next day we went down to talk to the apartment to ask how an armed assailment with a pistol and assault rifle got into our place of living and they had no idea that anything had even happened. The only reason we even had to take the stairs is because every single elevator was broken in our building, but whenever we told them about what happened the leasing manager said "this just happens" and then proceeded to tell us about all the security measures that she has put in. She said that we have armed guards walking around and yet not only did they not hear the event, they also failed to see the 30 police in and outside the building for 6 hours. She also said we have cameras but somehow they never caught him on any camera. She even said that we have an app that can alert everyone including the managers, and yet we have not recieved a single email or paper telling us about this. We do not feel safe in this apartment and quite frankly they do not seem to care. This was a very tramautic event for my friends and I that were held in the stairwell, and I do not understand how the apartment can say that this just happens and we should feel safe. I want to know about what kind of legal rights I have with respect to this.
What state?

quincy

What do you expect the apartment management to do?

Do promotional material/advertisements for the apartments tout the apartment building’s security features? If so, was that alone what drew you to rent the apartment rather than rent somewhere else?

reenzz

The leasing manager is correct. Crime can happen anywhere. Heck, I got robbed at Disney World a few years ago...in broad daylight...with secuity guards and cameras everywhere. Does you lease address security? What exact " legal rights" are you looking for?

quincy

broken elevators , call your city building inspections desk and report it!
Although a good idea, depending on the city, a call to the city may not result in any changes.

I am thinking specifically of Detroit (mostly after hearing of the police response time). Absentee landlords are the norm and city inspectors are overwhelmed with complaints.

CdwJava

If you do not feel safe you might be able to leverage your experience - and the lack of a functioning elevator - into a right to break the lease and move. I know that I would not want to stay somewhere that I felt unsafe.

quincy

If you do not feel safe you might be able to leverage your experience - and the lack of a functioning elevator - into a right to break the lease and move. I know that I would not want to stay somewhere that I felt unsafe.
I don’t think anyone wants to stay in an unsafe place but, as reenzz notes, any place can be unsafe - and many people do not have options (e.g., the financial ability to move), even if they potentially could break a lease.

Again, Detroit is coming to mind.

CdwJava

I'm not saying that one is any safer somewhere else, but, perceptions are reality for most of us. When asking what one can do, any potential legal action is long in coming and does not affect one's safety in the short run. If I felt inordinately UNsafe somewhere, I'd be gone. There are almost always some options whether it be crashing with a friend, moving, or taking other precautions. It comes down to a combination of what you are comfortable with and capable of doing.

CdwJava

I agree with the above ... but am hung up on the “capable of doing.” :)
Capable ... as in possessing the resources, personal comfort, and drive/wherewithal to make it happen. Some people like to express concern and throw the onus upon others to take action when they refuse to do so.

quincy

Capable ... as in possessing the resources, personal comfort, and drive/wherewithal to make it happen. Some people like to express concern and throw the onus upon others to take action when they refuse to do so.
I know what capable means. :)

I do not think everyone is capable of exercising certain options (like moving) even if they are uncomfortable with how things currently are in their lives. In other words, I think it can be less a matter of what one is comfortable tolerating and more a matter of what one must tolerate due to circumstances beyond their control.

CdwJava

Most of us possess some measure of control over our circumstances. There are almost always options. It's a matter of whether or not your fear outweighs the discomfort of the option taken. As I said, if I truly feared for my life, I would not stay another minute where I was. I suspect, however, that the danger for the OP is a concern, but likely not sufficient to justify the discomfort of changing their living situation even temporarily. It can be far easier and less uncomfortable to seek external options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">