• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hello. Can I file for divorce on my own?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emiliamillure

NO one is going to walk you step by step through a divorce.You need to read the rules of procedure, the local rules and look at the website for your county's divorce court. Start with that. Then come back and ask more specific questions.
Your answer is rude!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I've done it myself and provided general guidance to at least 3 other individuals (not "advice", of course ;) )

EDIT: And I'm in the OP's state...

LdiJ

Hello. Can I file for divorce bymyself? And how? What documents I need? We both live in California
Most counties in CA have either a family law facilitator's office or a self-help office. Not every courthouse has one but generally there is one in every county. Their specific function is to help people who are trying to do things like divorces, without an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">