• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!!!!!1

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smitty54

What is the name of your state? Virginia

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am currently emplyed with a small medical company. When I started, i was told that the territory was producing $700,000 in sales. About 2 weeks after i signed on in October, the company got notice that my largest account would be quitting in December. As of January 1, 2002, I was given a sales plan that incorporated this lost account into my target foir the year. In the mean time, my company removed a piece of equipment that my customers were using out of the clear blue, and replaced it with an old, outdated POS. needless to say, most of these customers stopped using us or their volumes shrinked. I have closed 2 new accounts, the typical cycle is 6 months to a year. I have been spending my time in a state where we have no business. I just received notification of a new customer in this state, but my company has now decided not to move in there until more targets are identified. Yesterday, I was given notice that i will probably be let go within the next 2 months unless they see a bunch of business coming in. All of these factors combined make it impossible to turn it in a month. I am obviously trying to find another position, but I don't want to have to settle for a bad job, or may not find one at all. At that point I will be looking for a job with a "fired" stigma. Please let me know any ideas or recourse I may have if this happens.

JETX

Simply, you have no legal recourse or options. It sounds like the employer has made bad business decisions that have affected your ability to meet the goals that they have set. Other than politely pointing this out to the appropriate parties and hoping that they will correct their errors, you have little or no recourse other than to find another job.

smitty54

Say I do end up being released. My biggest fear is that they will say "poor performance" to potential employers. That is the kiss of death in a sales position. I am wondering if they give me a bad review which is untrue, if I can threaten them with defamation. Since I DID make a positive contribution, closed new accounts, grew existing volumes, etc. Their feeling that i underperformed was a direct result of their decisions.

Beth3

Then you explain that in the interview without bad-mouthing your former employer - THAT is the kiss of death in an interview.

Even given the circumstances you describe, the employer is well within their legal rights to say you were let go for "poor performance" because for them, that is the truth. As long as they don't tell any factual lies, they can pretty much say whatever they want to in a reference.

smitty54

Thanks for the response. Every sale person in my company knows about what has happened to me. There are only 5 of us. I am currently putting together a territory analysis that show my "true" growth with these decisions aside. I am sure they would not have a problem giving me references. Especially since the company cut the commission structure out of the blue by 50%. Most reps are making 40-50% less money right now. I have a final interview on Monday. Guess i need to close it. Talk about pressure. Married with a 19 month old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">