• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! Check Nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
that's what confuses me. How could he send me checks to use if I wasn't authorized to use them....
Why would you sign checks if you weren't authorized on the account? Ignorance of the law is not an excuse and you can be charged with a felony.

quincy

I reported your post due to the link that was posted.
One of the reasons I dislike the ability to post in different colors is that I often mistake blue links for simply colorful print. I removed the link from my quote. Thanks for noticing it.

quincy

If you didn't open the account, you were NOT authorized. That is fact. That is the law. Ignorance of the law is NOT an excuse.
All true - but I think what cbenoist might be arguing is that she thought she was being added as authorized user of the scammer's account. The checks looked legitimate.

This entire situation is so complicated that it seems beyond what the average run-of-the-mill scammer would do, though.

cbenoist

I wish I could get one definitive answer. I've got one attorney telling me that since he sent me the checks in my name he doesn't have a case, I've got others telling me i'm royally screwed, and some who are saying block, ignore, report and move on.

cbenoist

All true - but I think what cbenoist might be arguing is that she thought she was being added as authorized user of the scammer's account. The checks looked legitimate.

This entire situation is so complicated that it seems beyond what the average run-of-the-mill scammer would do, though.
Exactly..I only have the messages between him and I. And I did specifically ask him about the checks sent to me and if I was, in fact, authorized to write them. Because if I wasn't there was no way in hell I was going to right anything on them. He assured me I was....repeatedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">