• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! Check Nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

I wish I could get one definitive answer. I've got one attorney telling me that since he sent me the checks in my name he doesn't have a case, I've got others telling me i'm royally screwed, and some who are saying block, ignore, report and move on.
You will need to sit down with an attorney in your area for a personal review.

You will want the attorney to go over the Facebook communications, all texts and emails, the checks you received, your communications with the bank so far, and your receipts showing how the money you withdrew was spent.

You can make complaints to the state and to the police to let them know you were scammed.

cbenoist

You will need to sit down with an attorney in your area for a personal review.

You will want the attorney to go over the Facebook communications, all texts and emails, the checks you received, your communications with the bank so far, and your receipts showing how the money you withdrew was spent.

You can make complaints to the state and to the police to let them know you were scammed.
I am...heard back from a few attorney's now and they all say about the same thing.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
lemme put it this way, he told me I was authorized to use the checks. All of which I have written proof of.
Again, you are claiming IGNORANCE OF THE LAW. And that is not a defense. You wrote checks on an account that you did not open. Hence, you could be found guilty of a crime. SHUT UP AND QUIT TALKING ABOUT YOUR CRIMINAL ACTIONS.

quincy

Again, you are claiming IGNORANCE OF THE LAW. And that is not a defense. You wrote checks on an account that you did not open. Hence, you could be found guilty of a crime. SHUT UP AND QUIT TALKING ABOUT YOUR CRIMINAL ACTIONS.
I hate to blame the true victims of scammers. Scammers are adept at getting people to do all sorts of silly things, using just a lure of free money.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I hate to blame the true victims of scammers. Scammers are adept at getting people to do all sorts of silly things, using just a lure of free money.
I hate to see people who are victims of scammers keep talking about their criminal activity though. And I have represented said people. It happens. I am not blaming OP. I am telling OP to shut up so that her words cannot be used against her. That whole Constitutional thing.

cbenoist

I hate to see people who are victims of scammers keep talking about their criminal activity though. And I have represented said people. It happens. I am not blaming OP. I am telling OP to shut up so that her words cannot be used against her. That whole Constitutional thing.
there was no need to be rude.

quincy

there was no need to be rude.
I think Ohiogal with her language wanted to impress on you the NEED for you to stop talking about what you did to anyone but your attorney.

You potentially can be charged with a crime for your role in withdrawing funds from an account that is not yours - and what you have revealed in this thread potentially could be used against you to help a prosecutor convict you.

That is one reason why I reported your post that showed the checks with your name and address.

It is not often that posts on this forum are used against a poster in a legal action, but it has happened in the past.

Again, sit down with an attorney in your area. What you say to the attorney is privileged and will remain confidential (except under the most extreme circumstances).

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
And please know this, cbenoist: you've now made yourself a target for other scammers. Because once you've been identified as an easy mark, others will come out of the woodwork. Romance scammers, "job" scams, etc, etc. So you need to be on alert and NEVER, EVER get yourself involved with someone you only know online. Do not send money, accept money, accept packages or have ANY transactions with strangers. EVer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">