• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help! Child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? pa
I am ordered to pay child support to my sons father(CP), i live on my own and the father lives with his parents, the child also lives with them. The parents file taxes as head of household and claim my son on their taxes, the (CP) father claims single 0 on his taxes. my question is that the child support is based on my income and the fathers income. shouldnt it be based on my income and the parents income because they claim the child on their taxes.

(the father and i were never married)(we bothe work)



Contact the FOC or whoever was involved in setting the Child Support, let them know the situation and see what happens!:D


Junior Member
does any one else know if the child support should count with the grandparents income instead of the fathers since the grandparents claim the child on their taxes?? i would like to find out as much as i can before i go and make an ass out of myself with this??
please help??
opinions or facts would help

hound dog

No Child Support is based on the parents income not the grandparents.


Senior Member
Go here and read the guidelines for "head of household" (use the search feature)...


if you make more than 15000.00 you may want to petition the court to get or alternate the deduction yearly. (ex would still be eligible for EIC and head of household status)
Last edited:


The grand parents can and should claim the child if they can prove that they are furnishing over 50% of the child support.
They should be filing a support form with the tax return showing the support. What did you and husband put in the divorce papers as to who can claim the child.
They would have to show the amount of income received from you and show that they still provide over 50% in order to claim him.
They can also claim HH if a child lives in their home even if they can't claim him as a dependent.


Senior Member
"does any one else know if the child support should count with the grandparents income instead of the fathers since the grandparents claim the child on their taxes??"

Child support is not considered income to the receiver, nor is it considered a deduction to the payer. Either way, no one can or has to claim it.


Contact your county Domestic Relations and ask the clerk if the custodial parent's income was considered in calculating the child support (it wasn't if you came to agreement outside of court). If the clerk informs you that his income was considered, you should petition to modify the support order based on the fact that the father gave misleading income figures when the support obligation was calculated. Domestic Relations always requires W-2s from the last year when you are summoned to appear, and this should have been factored in at the original hearing, unless the custodial parent gave the tax deduction to his parents after the order when into effect. If this is the case, you have a cause to petition for modification of the support order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential