• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help - Coll's are calling/Dad's in Nursing Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

califgoldenlady

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
Dad's (86 yrs old) CCrd is 120 days late; he has no assets, and only ssec for income, all of which goes to his long term care in the nursing home he entered 120 days ago. I had been paying monthly to Chase on his cc, but no longer have his income available. He gave me a card in my name, and I incurred the debt that Chase is trying to collect. I don't have enough income to pay this debt, and I have no assets. I am basically poor, and live paycheck to paycheck. I sent Chase a letter along with a letter from the nursing home and personal doctor stating that dad cannot issue a POA nor file for bankruptcy, is remaining in the Home for the future, therefore, he cannot pay them back. Should I ignore the collectors and let them sue me for the balance? Should I answer the phone even? Or, should I go to CCCS and include his debt along with mine and negotiate a new plan of paying off my debt? If I do, can I leave his debt off the plan? I don't know what to do next, I need help and have a horrible headache. thanks! Jennifer - California

JETX

califgoldenlady said:
He gave me a card in my name, and I incurred the debt that Chase is trying to collect.
Are you still using his card?? If so, you need to stop, NOW!!

The problem may be that any debts AFTER he has entered the nursing home would clearly be yours and yours alone. As such, and even though you have no direct legal obligation, the creditor could pursue that personal debt in court and likely get a court to agree that you would be liable.... for misuse of the account.

califgoldenlady

I haven't used the account at all since he entered the nursing home. but, my signature is on some charges prior to his entering. any more advice? should I just let them pursue me through the courts? how do I stop their continous calls and collection efforts? thanx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">