• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Company charged wrong customer for 2yrs instead of us!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssasy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I will try to explain this as clear as possible, please bear with me since English is my second language. About 2 years ago we requested ADT services for our house. Everything was going fine until about a month ago when we received a letter informing us about an increase in our monthly bill. This prompted us to check our CC statement and that's when we discovered that they had not withdrawn the monthly fees in a long time.
We call ADT and told them about the situation and we discovered that 1) the credit card number that they had in their system was wrong. It was different from the one in our contract. I need to mention that we had cancelled that CC about a year ago and forgot to informed ADT. However, I am sure that they had it all wrong since the very beginning, even though we cancelled the CC. ( the cc number is right in the contract ). 2) they also had our home address wrong in their system. They said they were going to open and investigation and contact us. Well, today we received a bill from them charging us $ 1073 dollars .... the bill description says $986 overpayment refund ( I guess a refund to the other customer) plus this month's charges. I added up the numbers and it amounts to 2 years of service!
I know were were at fault because we did not informed them of the cc cancellation but we had had other companies contact us regarding our cc being cancelled and needing a new account to charge us. This people were charging somebody else for the services they were provided us and now they want their money ASAP. They said we can set up a payment plan but we feel that we should be held responsible for their mistakes. Are we wrong?
I am basically sick to my stomach just thinking about this newly acquired debt! I will appreciate any suggestions regarding this issue.
Thanks in advance for reading such a lengthy post.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, you are wrong. Why would you not have to pay for the service you were receiving?

You owe the money. Either pay it in full, or pay it on the payment plan.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I will try to explain this as clear as possible, please bear with me since English is my second language. About 2 years ago we requested ADT services for our house. Everything was going fine until about a month ago when we received a letter informing us about an increase in our monthly bill. This prompted us to check our CC statement and that's when we discovered that they had not withdrawn the monthly fees in a long time.
We call ADT and told them about the situation and we discovered that 1) the credit card number that they had in their system was wrong. It was different from the one in our contract. I need to mention that we had cancelled that CC about a year ago and forgot to informed ADT. However, I am sure that they had it all wrong since the very beginning, even though we cancelled the CC. ( the cc number is right in the contract ). 2) they also had our home address wrong in their system. They said they were going to open and investigation and contact us. Well, today we received a bill from them charging us $ 1073 dollars .... the bill description says $986 overpayment refund ( I guess a refund to the other customer) plus this month's charges. I added up the numbers and it amounts to 2 years of service!
I know were were at fault because we did not informed them of the cc cancellation but we had had other companies contact us regarding our cc being cancelled and needing a new account to charge us. This people were charging somebody else for the services they were provided us and now they want their money ASAP. They said we can set up a payment plan but we feel that we should be held responsible for their mistakes. Are we wrong?
I am basically sick to my stomach just thinking about this newly acquired debt! I will appreciate any suggestions regarding this issue.
Thanks in advance for reading such a lengthy post.
Take some Pepto Bismo and pay up. You did use the service didn't you???

seniorjudge

Q: They said we can set up a payment plan but we feel that we should be [I think you mean should NOT be] held responsible for their mistakes. Are we wrong?

A: Are you saying you don't think you should pay your bill? Why not?

ssasy

OK, actually I was wrong. My husband just confirmed that they were debiting out checking account but he lost his checking card about a year ago and had to get a new one, then since that point on is were everything happened, if that makes any difference. I am not saying I do not wanted to pay for the service. However why would they charge me for two years???

Thanks again

seniorjudge

OK, actually I was wrong. My husband just confirmed that they were debiting out checking account but he lost his checking card about a year ago and had to get a new one, then since that point on is were everything happened, if that makes any difference. I am not saying I do not wanted to pay for the service. However why would they charge me for two years???

Thanks again
You need to be talking to the folks who say you owe them money.

Have your documentation in hand.

ssasy

Thanks. I will check my bank statement records and see when they did the last withdrawal. And she if it matches what they say I owe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">