• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP !! Copyright on Ebay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scatterbrain

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Wisconsin - I recently had an auction on Ebay ended. They pulled it because I did not say I had a copyright on the material. Since there were several Ebay members selling basically the same thing I didn't even think about a copyright. Anyways, after contacting Ebay I thought I had found who might be the copyright owner and emailed her.
NOTE: After the auction was ended I did NOT listed anymore auctions.
I haven't had any auctions since then and no plans to list any !!

I ask if she was the copyright owner - this was her response -

"Yes, actually I am. I see that you are selling parts of my work. Thanks for emailing me. I've just reported you to my attorney for the portions of my work that you are selling. Just to give you heads up - it's $100,000 per infringement!!! "

How can I find out if she indeed has a copyright ? This sounds like some sort of threat to me. What can I do now ?

divgradcurl

How can I find out if she indeed has a copyright ?
Check www.copyright.gov -- if she's panning on suing you for copyright infringement, she'll need to register her copyright first. However, if you don't find anything there, that doesn't mean that she doesn't own the copyright -- you don't have to register a copyright unless you are planning to sue someone -- and there really isn't any way of finding out if someone owns a non-registered copyright.

This sounds like some sort of threat to me. What can I do now ?
Do nothing until you actually receive a summons from a court. Then go talk with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">