• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Desperately need advice on disertion.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joy36

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee. My grandson is 23 and has
been married 13 months. His wife went to another state. She said she'd find a job and
a place to live and send for him. It has been around 4 or 5 months. She told him she
wanted to come home so he managed to get the money together and send it to her. This
has happened 5 times I believe and each time something came up like she missed the
plane, etc. He loved her and kept the faith until one day he realized he was being used.
She won't give him an address. Can he put something in the paper and just get a divorce
on the grounds of disertion? Is a lawyer necessary when there are no children and no
property or assets?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee. My grandson is 23 and has
been married 13 months. His wife went to another state. She said she'd find a job and
a place to live and send for him. It has been around 4 or 5 months. She told him she
wanted to come home so he managed to get the money together and send it to her. This
has happened 5 times I believe and each time something came up like she missed the
plane, etc. He loved her and kept the faith until one day he realized he was being used.
She won't give him an address. Can he put something in the paper and just get a divorce
on the grounds of disertion? Is a lawyer necessary when there are no children and no
property or assets?
Filing for divorce by publication isn't a DIY project. He should really get an attorney. Fortunately, if there is no property or kids, then it shouldn't be terribly expensive.

joy36

Thank you. Legal aid also told him to get an attorney. However I know several people
who have gotten a divorce in our state without an attorney. Is this really legal? None
of us has cash available.:(

Silverplum

Thank you. Legal aid also told him to get an attorney. However I know several people
who have gotten a divorce in our state without an attorney. Is this really legal? None
of us has cash available.:(
It's entirely legal.

It requires much study and preparation, and should not be done for custody matters, but one can certainly learn to represent oneself in a divorce matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">