• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help for my son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texas -

Background -

Got pg - dad didn't want son - saw him twice in over a year - at 15 months we went to court, he got visitation and was ordered child support - things went downhill, he is a control freak, started taping conversations, filing all sorts of nasty stuff, filed for sole custody when he had never even had an overnight yet...it hit him in the face when the judge told him to chill out and just be a dad and to stop with the vindictive stuff against me. He walked away, no contact, tried to kill himself in front of his stepchildren, 6 months later I moved 200 miles away after a temp order requiring him to have supervised visits. He never exercised them instead he walked away. A year later he contacted me and taped the conversation with me saying we needed to go back to court and do it the right way to start contact again. He refused, he wanted to pick him up for Thanksgiving that week, after not seeing him for over a year. I refused and told him we needed to go back to court and establish a new parenting plan.

He came back into the picture two years later and we hired attorneys in 2004 after he married wife number 5 and had another child. It had now been four years since he had seen his son. His attorney asked to be removed from the case very early on because of his control issues with her even and his threatening to sue her, we went to mediation and worked things out as far as visitations and child support. He has had every other weekend since Oct 04, he has started paying support - he was 15K in arrears. Son is 7 years old.

It was put into our paperwork that neither parent is to speak negatively of the other parent because of the horrible things he says to our son. Son just came back from Spring Break and fell apart before we even left the parking lot. Dad accused him of not using shampoo to wash his hair and then went on about how he is no better than his mother - nothing but a liar - and he will turn out just like me. Then he went on to tell him about how I "kidnapped" him and that he has me lying on tape and he will play the tapes to our son.

Son is horrified. He wants to establish a relationship with this man as his father and his father is damaging it by doing this! He also tells him constantly that if he doesn't shape up he is never allowed to come back (and they will go to Disney World over summer and won't even miss him). How juvenile.

What can I do? Can I hire an attorney for my son? Can i require parenting classes of some sort? I want this to work for my son's sake, he deserves a dad that he can count on and look up to.

So what can a parent do when it is abuse such as this? He is simply an idiot of a parent, something that perhaps can be *taught* in classes - he needs to know what damage he is doing. I'm not wanting to stop him from seeing him or anything of the sort, I just want to know what I can do to help my son. At this point I told him I'm sorry that he has to hear things like that and he just has to ignore it. I don't know what else to do... :(What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

bonkers101 said:
Texas -

Background -

Got pg - dad didn't want son - saw him twice in over a year - at 15 months we went to court, he got visitation and was ordered child support - things went downhill, he is a control freak, started taping conversations, filing all sorts of nasty stuff, filed for sole custody when he had never even had an overnight yet...it hit him in the face when the judge told him to chill out and just be a dad and to stop with the vindictive stuff against me. He walked away, no contact, tried to kill himself in front of his stepchildren, 6 months later I moved 200 miles away after a temp order requiring him to have supervised visits. He never exercised them instead he walked away. A year later he contacted me and taped the conversation with me saying we needed to go back to court and do it the right way to start contact again. He refused, he wanted to pick him up for Thanksgiving that week, after not seeing him for over a year. I refused and told him we needed to go back to court and establish a new parenting plan.

He came back into the picture two years later and we hired attorneys in 2004 after he married wife number 5 and had another child. It had now been four years since he had seen his son. His attorney asked to be removed from the case very early on because of his control issues with her even and his threatening to sue her, we went to mediation and worked things out as far as visitations and child support. He has had every other weekend since Oct 04, he has started paying support - he was 15K in arrears. Son is 7 years old.

It was put into our paperwork that neither parent is to speak negatively of the other parent because of the horrible things he says to our son. Son just came back from Spring Break and fell apart before we even left the parking lot. Dad accused him of not using shampoo to wash his hair and then went on about how he is no better than his mother - nothing but a liar - and he will turn out just like me. Then he went on to tell him about how I "kidnapped" him and that he has me lying on tape and he will play the tapes to our son.

Son is horrified. He wants to establish a relationship with this man as his father and his father is damaging it by doing this! He also tells him constantly that if he doesn't shape up he is never allowed to come back (and they will go to Disney World over summer and won't even miss him). How juvenile.

What can I do? Can I hire an attorney for my son? Can i require parenting classes of some sort? I want this to work for my son's sake, he deserves a dad that he can count on and look up to.

So what can a parent do when it is abuse such as this? He is simply an idiot of a parent, something that perhaps can be *taught* in classes - he needs to know what damage he is doing. I'm not wanting to stop him from seeing him or anything of the sort, I just want to know what I can do to help my son. At this point I told him I'm sorry that he has to hear things like that and he just has to ignore it. I don't know what else to do... :(What is the name of your state?
While I certainly agree that dad needs some parenting classes, I don't know that you would actually be able to get a judge to order him to do that.

However, you certainly can and should consider counseling for your child. Not only would that help your child learn coping mechanisms, but it could also give you someone who could testify in court. (the counselor)

ceara19

LdiJ said:
While I certainly agree that dad needs some parenting classes, I don't know that you would actually be able to get a judge to order him to do that.

However, you certainly can and should consider counseling for your child. Not only would that help your child learn coping mechanisms, but it could also give you someone who could testify in court. (the counselor)
It shouldn't be that hard to get parenting classes order because of the fact that he is violating the court order by trashing mom in front of the child.

Jr Bonk has a therapist appointment today. He is STILL distraught over this. Came home from school crying because they put up the sign for Doughnuts With Dad Day...and I thought he was upset because dad lives so far away...so I told him, well maybe you could call him and ask him if he would like to make a special trip to join you (it is on a saturday). His response was that he was crying because he wished he didn't have a dad or that he had a different dad.

OMG that killed me. His father is slamming not only mom, but 7 yr old son as well. He is accusing him of being "Nothing but a liar just like his mom". If it were simply a matter of him badmouthing mom, I think I could convince Jr Bonk to just ignore the comments, but he is making this very very personal.

How sad is this...JrBonk said last night that he wishes he could steal the tape recorder from dad and record him saying mean things to son. He said he says things to him in the garage and when they are together with no one around, but is quiet when someone walks up. Then JrBonk gets called a liar if he says something to step sister about what dad said.

Sad that a 7 year old is even thinking about tape recording conversations secretly. :mad:

Attorney emailed and stated we could file contempt charges but JrBonk needed to speak to a therapist about it - that is the only way it is admissable. I just want this to stop and I don't want to start another knock down battle - if I file contempt charges that is sure to get the ball of revenge rolling all over again.

Therapist is not happy - she dealt with dad before and he threatened to sue her when JrBonk first started seeing her. He played *the tape* to her and sent her a stack of emails from years back to try to - heck I don't know - sway her opinions of me probably...it back fired on him as usual and she saw how extremely controlling he was. When she told him about what kind of damage he was doing to his son, he had his attorney write up something saying JrBonk couldn't see her any more until court proceedings were over and that he had to agree with the therapist JrBonk saw. Then he threatened to sue her if she wrote anything for the courts. (we never got to court, just mediation) Therapist said last night she will help JrBonk through this because that is what is important but she is not looking forward to dealing with "that @ss". Jr Bonk totally opened up to her last time he saw her though and she is very good at making him feel comfortable and secure. He has asked numerous times to see her since. I'm hoping she can help him becuase myhands are totally tied here. Such an awful feeling...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">