• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!! Friend is Absconding!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetdragonfly1

Hi everyone! First I want to say Thanks for such a great forum to ask questions and be supportive. My question is this. I have a very dear friend, Stephanie, who did a little over one year of a two year sentence for Grand Theft, in VSPW, Chowchilla CA. She has been out for 2 years, 4 months, and has been on minimum supervision since the fourth month after her release. She is married, and has two children still living at home. Now, her husband decided to take a job offer, just over her state line, in Nevada. If she goes with him, and abscondes, what will happen if and when she is caught? She can't get a transfer out of state because she has not finished paying her restitution, but of course she wants to be with her family. If she takes a chance and gets caught before her parole is up in eight months, how much time will she do? Is there a possibility that she would be C.O.P.? She hasn't gotten in any trouble at all in the 28 months since she came home. She sends in her monthly reports faithfully, and has a very good relationship with her Parole Agent. I want to tell her to not go, to just stick it out for 8 months, but being a mother and wife myself, I can feel her pain. Does anyone know the best and worse case scenarios for her so I can advise her honestly? ANy help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
:eek:

snostar

Worse case scenario: She finishes serving her sentence in jail along with additional time for the parole violations. In that case she certainly will be unable to be there for her children. Eight months really isn't that long.

CdwJava

She should see about getting her parole transferred to NV. If her record is that good, it should only take a couple months or less to get it approved.

However, once she abscoinds her remaining time stops ticking and she can be sent back to do every day of prison time remaining as of the date she fled. There may also be additional charges filed that will increase that time.

Additionally, her husband can be charged with aiding a fugitive and he can also find himself sent to prison for knowingly aiding her flight.

And since they would have talked about doing this and done it together, we would also have a criminal conspiracy to assist her flight which is another felony.

This is not a casual thing to do and can end up in your friend and her hubby in jail.

She needs to finish out her time or get the transfer. If not, then she better lie low and learn to live in the underground because she and her hubby will be on the run.

- Carl

calatty

California parole is a mandatory 3 year term after the full sentence is served, so there is no remaining time or sentence to be finished serving. If she absconds, a warrant will be issued for her arrest and when she resurfaces, she will be returned to prison for up to a year, the maximum violation time.

nomad943

I have rarely heard of a PO that isnt receptive to filing the necesary paperwork to have supervision transfered. There are also other strings they can pull. If she is straight she realy needs to level with the PO. Beleive it or not, they usualy are real people.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">