• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! How do I save my house!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kingj90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York

Good Afternoon,

After a long 23 years my mother has decided to cheat on my father. She been sneaking around trying to take all of my fathers money and even made him put house under her name only (Deed)???

Just curious on what this really means. A deed?
What are my fathers rights as husband and the house was bought when they were together.
Kind of afraid my mother can just sell the home at any given moment and we're left in the dirt.
Can my father put a legal stop to her trying to sell or re-finanance?
Does is matter/ help If HE files for divorce.
Really stick here with my home on the line.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

quincy

New York

Good Afternoon,

After a long 23 years my mother has decided to cheat on my father. She been sneaking around trying to take all of my fathers money and even made him put house under her name only (Deed)???

Just curious on what this really means. A deed?
What are my fathers rights as husband and the house was bought when they were together.
Kind of afraid my mother can just sell the home at any given moment and we're left in the dirt.
Can my father put a legal stop to her trying to sell or re-finanance?
Does is matter/ help If HE files for divorce.
Really stick here with my home on the line.
How old are you and why do you believe your father is not capable of handling his own legal matters?

Kingj90

How old are you and why do you believe your father is not capable of handling his own legal matters?
I am 25. He's 70, its not the best news of his life. Hes heartbroken he cant make these decisions alone, thats why I am here.

Please, I am in need of valuable advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am 25. He's 70, its not the best news of his life. Hes heartbroken he cant make these decisions alone, thats why I am here.

You may wish to assist your dad by helping him find legal counsel.

Just Blue

I suggest you find a new place to live. Let your father deal with his own legal issues.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
New York

Your father really needs to see a family law attorney in NY. The sooner your father starts to take action to protect his interests, the better. Understand that simply changing the deed from joint title solely into her name does not mean he is left without any rights to the home. In a divorce, that home is still martial property that a court will divide up along with the rest of the assets that the couple has. The problem here becomes if she starts to move assets and hides them to prevent him from being able to reach them in the divorce. For example, if she sells the home and hides the cash, that makes it a lot harder for him to reach his share of that cash later in a divorce. The best thing you can do is encourage him to see that attorney. Heart broken though he is, he needs to get past the sense of helplessness and take charge of his situation. No one else can do that for him.

quincy

There is free or low cost legal assistance available in New York for senior citizens. I recommend you help your father in locating this help in his area. Following are links to New York resources for you and your dad to check out.

http://www.nylag.org/units/public-benefits/projects/elder-law-practice

https://www.lawhelpny.org/issues/seniors

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">