• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! I dont want my kids to sleep in a toilet. MN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bijad

My fiancee and I moved into a place in mid September, around Halloween we noticed that thebasement was flooding, we didn't think too much about it as it was in the laundry room which led us initially to believe that it was a leaky washer. How wrong we were, the flooding became more and more frequent and by the second week of Nov. the basement was constantly flooding. Our landlord lives out of state so we tried to call her 4 or 5 times, the last being on the 14th of Nov. at which time we left her a voicemail telling her that the basement was flooding and we were going to have a plumber come out and look at it. When the first plumber came out he went out into the mainline about 100ft. and determined that it was broken, and left without even charging us. By the time the second plumber came out we had three inches of standing sewage sitting in our basement, he had the same diagnosis. At this point it is now the first week of Dec. and we still haven't heard from our landlord. We make a few more unsuccessful calls and then start looking for a new house. On Dec. 17th I recieve a call from my landlord who calls only to ask why we haven't paid for Dec. rent. I explain that we have been trying to reach her and as this problem has gone unanswered for over a month now we would withhold it until it wass dealt with. She denies ever recieving our message. The phone call gets pretty loud and ends on a calmer note with me saying if you are going to fix this problem we'll pay rent. So after Xmas she still hadn't done anything so we started looking again and found a new place to move into and did so. Now she is saying that she is going to sue us for god knows what. We stupidly did not send her anything in writing, but, the city came out and said it was unsafe and unhealthy to be living there and we have pictures of the three inches of standing water filled with feces in the basement that held our children's bedrooms(it is a splitlevel w/ 3 brooms down and one up. Does she have a case? and what can we do now to protect ourselves, we don't have a lot of money for a lawyer.

D

djdj

Well use the december and Januarys rent money for a lawyer, i cant belive a judge would force you to pay her anything with sewage in the basement.....

And your best defense is any NORMAL landlord would get their assss there immediately and see the damage done to the property, but what is her reason for not being there?

I think you should sue her for the return of your secuirty deposit too.... not to mention moving expenses...thats what a lawyer is for to sue HER!

Take no prisioners.....she deserves to be sued and have the health dept. board up the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">