• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!!! I need to sue someone.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?Delaware

Hello I was wondering what type of laywer I would need to pursue when sueing someone who has failed to follow thru with her end of an agreement?
A few years ago I helped a friend purchase a car in my name with her as the co-signer. She had failed to follow thru with her end of the agreement. The car had been repossessed at this point and is now been charged off as a balance unpaid. I have recently been in contact with her to get her to make payment arragements and she hasnt followed thru again. Id like to talk to a lawyer about this situation and see what my options are. So please help me find the right lawyer. Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated.


Junior Member
Was your agreement with this person put into writing? Did she sign something between you and she?

If so, go downtown to the courthouse and file a suit against her. Depending on the amount, you could probably go through small claims court and letigate yourself. Otherwise, you may need to contact a lawyer for some help, again, depending on the dollar amount.

If not, and you signed the paperwork, you are liable for the debt. The agency can come after both of you for the balance of the debt. Make sure the balance of the debt is less the amount the bank recieved for reselling the car. (Balance - bank sold amount = what is due [could be plus fees, etc]).

Anytime you do anything for someone like this, get it in writing...even if this is your closest friend or family member.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential