• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP-Ignorant and confused MN debt/SOL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mndreamer

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?: Minnesota confused: :confused: - My husband and I filed chapter 13 which was released in 1996. We still owed 1,100.00 on a check protection type loan through bank that was set up through a Discover card account by the bank. When released the debt was sold off twice, and now we have a lawfirm saying they have judgment against us for $3,500.00-Lawfirm purchased debt in 2001 and notified us this year of debt owed to them. We are wondering if the statute of limitations has run out. Since they have a court judgment against us do we have a legal obligation to pay this full amount and can they, in fact, garnish our wages?

Last edited:

Debt Guy

The SOL in MN is 6 years. The SOL begins to run from the date of first default. DOFD is almost always 30 days after your last regular payment on the debt (after which the debt was never current).

I don't think the bankruptcy has much to do with you situation. But, I'm no expect in bankruptcy. You might want to post your question in the consumer bankruptcy forum.

TigerD

Mndreamer said:
...Since they have a court judgment against us do we have a legal obligation to pay this full amount and can they, in fact, garnish our wages?
Judgement is the key part of your question. If they do have a judgement, you do have a legal obligation to pay the bill. Yes they can seek levys and garnishment.

Make sure they do actually have a judgement. Check with the court.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">