• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help - I'm out $2,025

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I was at a friend's house and one of his friends (who was really drunk) smashed into my car and drove off. He called later that night and begged me not to call the police and promised he would pay me. I didn't call the police because my friend was afraid he was suicidal.

Well, it's been two months and despite loads of promises, I have seen no money. I've got about four people who can vouch that he hit the car, plus he has obviously admitted to it.

Is this an open and shut case in small claims court and how will the court insure that I receive my money? Thank you for your help.


Senior Member
Q1) "Is this an open and shut case in small claims court"
A1) There are no such animals as 'open and shut' lawsuits. There is ALWAYS a chance for the other party to pull to pull the proverbial 'rabbit out of the hat' and win. Your chances of winning are directly related to the evidence that you present... and the ability of the defendant to challenge that evidence.

Q2) "and how will the court insure that I receive my money?"
A2) This one is easy... they won't. The court does NOT pursue recovery of your judgment. That is purely up to you... after you win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential