• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help in AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

freddieb

What is the name of your state? Az
My problem is as follows: In 1997 I (stupidly) co-signed on an apartment for a co-worker. Well I got hit with a wage garnishment of about $850. I didn't hear anything until a couple months ago when a debt collector sent me a notice saying i owed an additional $1350. They state the money we paid in 1997 was for cleaning/damages but this one was for improper 30 day notice. The co-worker who actually lived there lives in another state and is not responding to me or the debt collector. I was wondering doesn't this seem like just an attempt to milk more money out of me(does to me) and what recourse I have to stop this. It is currently on my credit report and is making it a pain to refinance my current home. Thx......

HomeGuru

freddieb said:
What is the name of your state? Az
My problem is as follows: In 1997 I (stupidly) co-signed on an apartment for a co-worker. Well I got hit with a wage garnishment of about $850. I didn't hear anything until a couple months ago when a debt collector sent me a notice saying i owed an additional $1350. They state the money we paid in 1997 was for cleaning/damages but this one was for improper 30 day notice. The co-worker who actually lived there lives in another state and is not responding to me or the debt collector. I was wondering doesn't this seem like just an attempt to milk more money out of me(does to me) and what recourse I have to stop this. It is currently on my credit report and is making it a pain to refinance my current home. Thx......
**A: where is the backup support documentation? Request it is writing via certified rrr mail.

F

freddieb

They already sent it after I requested. I've read elsewhere the SOL for Arizona is 6 years. Shouldn't be anything they can do after that right?

HomeGuru

freddieb said:
They already sent it after I requested. I've read elsewhere the SOL for Arizona is 6 years. Shouldn't be anything they can do after that right?
**A: so what is the status? Are the documents correct? Was there court judgement for the larger amount?

F

freddieb

They sent me a statement saying the original judgement was for cleaining issues($1500!). They said that this was for ineffective 30 day notice. This was not in the original judegment. It happened to be right in the middle of a refi. They have no additional court documents. Have posted on another forum and they seem to think they are just trying to get me to pay more $ by trying to hold up my refi. What do you think?

HomeGuru

freddieb said:
They sent me a statement saying the original judgement was for cleaining issues($1500!). They said that this was for ineffective 30 day notice. This was not in the original judegment. It happened to be right in the middle of a refi. They have no additional court documents. Have posted on another forum and they seem to think they are just trying to get me to pay more $ by trying to hold up my refi. What do you think?
**A: I think you flew the coop and now do not have a handle on exactly what transpired and how much you really owe. At this point you need to obtain copies of the court judgement(s) so you can confirm the true accounts due and owing.

F

freddieb

I know exactly what transpired, and I have the court documents. I saved them from before. What I'm saying is that they're telling me that more money is owed than they originally took me to court over. They said the apartment complex had "opened their books" and found out they could charge an additional amount over and beyond what they had before.

HomeGuru

freddieb said:
I know exactly what transpired, and I have the court documents. I saved them from before. What I'm saying is that they're telling me that more money is owed than they originally took me to court over. They said the apartment complex had "opened their books" and found out they could charge an additional amount over and beyond what they had before.
**A: then tough crap for them. Legally you only owe the amount written on the court judgement. But since you are an honest and ethical citizen, you will pay the corrected amount, correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">