• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help in divorce in Va

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brcmoto95

I am trying to find information about divorce laws for Virginia. I was married for 12 1/2 years when my husband decided to leave me. That was in June. How can I go about getting a no fault divorce? I am now living in California and have been here for 2 months. Any help would be greatly apprcieate. Do I need to do a legal seperation first??? There is nothing to fight over and no children.

Thank-you!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

brcmoto95 said:
I am trying to find information about divorce laws for Virginia. I was married for 12 1/2 years when my husband decided to leave me. That was in June. How can I go about getting a no fault divorce? I am now living in California and have been here for 2 months. Any help would be greatly apprcieate. Do I need to do a legal seperation first??? There is nothing to fight over and no children.

Thank-you!
My response:

If you're planning on staying in California, you don't need the laws of Virginia. You need the laws of California.

Once you satisfy the 6 month residency requirements of California, you can file for Legal Separation or Dissolution of Marriage in California. In California, you don't need to file for Legal Separation first - you can file for Dissolution of Marriage. California is strictly a "No Fault" divorce State, whereas most States are combination Fault / No Fault.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">