• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Me and my boyfriend moved in an apartment together in January 2001. Since we were not married the lease could only be in one of our name. Since he was going to be paying the rent we had the landlord put the lease in his name. Now he wants to move back home. Is there anyway I could keep the apartment without having to put another deposit down for the apartment. Everything in the apartment was in my name for example: light bill, cable, phone bill. Help in Florida


mary hartman

Probably NOT, the landlord will give you 30 days to move. Unless you have a good enough job to pay ALL of the rent.

This will teach you a very expensive lesson in life skills.

PAY YOUR OWN WAY, and Have both names on a lease AND pay the landlord with a check from each of you.

If the landlord refuses to put the lease in both names ..DONT give him the money,walk out and find another apartment!

Sonia Krampitz

Before your roommate moves out, ask the apartment complex to also put your name on the lease.

I also rent in Florida. I had a roommate who was no blood relation and with whom I was not emotionally involved: both our names were on the lease since the beginning (although each of us had to pay a deposit).

You were lied to if you were told your name could not be on the lease unless you were married.

Nevertheless, if your objective was to avoid paying an initial deposit for each of you, you did well. To bad you were not the one chosen as the lessee in the beginning.

The bottom line: there might be no way around paying a deposit to have your name appear on the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential