• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Insurance/Hospital Billing Q?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

Ultraboy71

What is the name of your state? Ohio

:confused:

18 months ago, I had an MRI (one of many in the last few years, as a follow-up to surgery I'd had). My insurance was billed and paid the hospital's claim (the amount paid was like half the amount billed, as usual). I was billed a smaller amount (calculated in the usual manner) and made my payment.

In the last two weeks I have received two bills from the hospital, for the original amount (minus my payment which was made over a year ago). The hospital billing staff I spoke to said that the insurance had "taken their original payment back" due to "lack of prior authorization." I have not received any statements regarding this from my insurance, but have seen this claim labeled "updated" on their CS website (it's now marked "REJECTED 5/29/03"). I'm assuming that the hospital has returned the original payment (which really surprises me).

I'm now very confused (and PO'd) by the fact the hospital is now re-billing me for something that was settled and closed 18 months ago. I do plan to call insurance regarding this, but thought I'd see what anyone who knows more about the legality of this has to offer.

My questions are:
1) Is it legal for an insurance company to retract a payment back from a provider 18 months after the payment was made?

2) Is it legal for a provider to re-bill the patient for the entire amount that was billed 18 months ago, even though they initially received insurance payment, plus a payment from me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MellowCat

One more thing that is obvious, but... they of course can't bill you for money you personally already paid (double-billed). But the insurance money that they had to refund must be paid by the patient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">