• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Jugdement ordered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marbiljac

What is the name of your state? Pa.
I had several credit cards. Lost my job. Hubby lost his due to an ongoing injury because of a drunk driver. Tried to work out a deal with the credit card companies, they wanted full payment. Went to collection. I am making monthly payments to the one collection company. Anyways, I own my home free and clear. Bought it 5 years ago for back taxes. What can they do to me now that they have won a judgement even though I make monthly payments to them? Also, are they still allowed through the collection process and now judgement to still be collecting 18 percent interest? I thought I read somewhere that once it was in collection or judgement that they could only charge 6 percent in the state of PA. I can't find work, hubby works part time due to his injury and daily pain. I can't afford an attorney. I can't lose my home or I will be homeless. I have no one.

maryks

They may file a lien against your house but I don't think they can take it from you (I may be very mistaken).

maryks

I'm not sure. I would call an atty first thing Monday morning. Some offer free initial consultations, and could at least tell you where you stand.

The bankruptcy atty I used to work for required a certain fee up front, in cash. Real hard for someone that is filing bankruptcy. If you are considering bankruptcy, definitely get in to see an atty Mon... bankruptcy laws are changing soon, and you need to get moving on this one quickly in order to file on time to miss the changes.

Also, if your real estate is valued at a certain amount (and esp if you have a positive net worth) you will want the atty to know this up front. I'm not sure, but don't think you can file if this is the case.

marbiljac

Do you know if I am correct in the fact that they are charging me 18 percent while in collection and now judgement? What if my debt is close enough to the worth of the property? Can they force me to sell off my property? If it would go to a sheriff for a sheriff sale, is there anyway to stop that or should I just give up at that point? Do they have to give a warning that they are taking it to a sheriff for sale? Sorry about all the questions. Just so scared. We lost our home when the drunk hit my husband. Year later, victims of arson. Lost everything and was homeless for almost a month. I can't go through this again. Thank you.

maryks

I am sure they are probably chargin at least 18% in collections... collections could bleed a person dry in no time, and most people working in collections don't have much heart for the person in debt. I don't know about judgment interest limits, but 6% seems really low... yet that is what I'm seeing on the internet right now, too. However, even if it is 6%, don't breathe too deeply. The fees may still be outrageous.

Try running a search on the net for
Article 9 security interests
...and also for...
sheriff sale house pennsylvania debt
You should find some relevant info there.

Have you considered selling your home outright and purchasing a fixer-upper or one like the one you are in now? Could you pay off the debts with the amount you would obtain from sale and still having a downpayment for a new house? I'm sorry, I know it isn't what you would like, but would it work?

marbiljac

I've considered that. But to tell you the truth, I don't think I would get what it is appraised at and by the time I would pay everyone off I wouldn't have much left to deal with. As far as a fixer upper, couldn't afford to pay someone to do it and hubby physically couldn't anymore. I don't want to have to rent because I can't find employment and hubby is looking at surgeries because of this accident almost 8 years ago. He can barely walk somedays. I couldn't rely on being able to pay rent. I just don't know what to do. Thank you for all your help.

maryks

Call an atty on Monday. Someone should be able to refer you to some assistance. There is help out there. I just don't know if I can refer you to specifics over this site.

marbiljac

We knew the man that lived in our home. He abandoned it once his parents passed away. He didn't want it. Couldn't afford the upkeep. We paid him 1 dollar and paid the back taxes. He says he thinks his mom had a loan against the home before she died. If this is true, would that in anyway help me out? As far as for telling an attorney if I were to consider bankruptcy? I have never been contacted by anyone and don't know how to go about finding out if this is true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">