• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Life Insurance Claim past 90 days!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lpmaya

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hi I'm concern can anyone please shed some light?

My brother passed away in Puerto Rico on Dec. of 2001. Due to Puerto Rican State Laws an autopsy and official release of the death certificate can take anywhere from 60-90 days, in our case due to their back log everything was completed in June of 2002.

In the meantime back in January my brother's wife alerted the insurance company that he had passed away, they sent her a claim form and stated that she had 90 days. The insurance company would not make a payout without a death certificate. She never really got a statisfactory answer on whether or not they would deny the claim all they said was get the death certificate.

On top of that sometime between March & April the insurance company was brought by another insurance company.

My question...can the new insurance Company refuse to give us the money even though it was explained to them that the death certificate would take time to be completed?

C

CIAA

Dear Ipmaya,

As explained in my email to you, the insurance company should help and assist you in obtaining the death certificate. You should definitely submit your portion of the completed claim form to help preserve your right to claim. The time limit is generally only enforcable by the insurance company if the delay was unreasonable on your part. Keep them advised and provide the death certificate as soon as possible.

ALawyer

It is inconcevable to me that any life insurance company could deny a death benefit claim unless a beneficiary has filed a claim within 90 days of the death. Unheard of. IN MANY CASES THE BENEFICIARY WOULD NOT EVEN KNOW ABOUT THE INSURANCE.

Contact the PR Insurance Department.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">