• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help me help my son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lynn sims

Whatis the name of your state?South Carolina. I have a 13 year old son from my first marriage. Sadly my son's father passed away in march of this year. My ex husband's new wife has never contacted me or my son with information about my ex husband's life insurance. How do I go about finding this information out? Since my son is still a minor does how qualify for his father's insurance even if he may not have been specifically named on the policy? Is there a time limit on my ability to collect any moneys possibly owed to my son? My ex husband lived in Georgia at the time of his death.

February2003

Are you sure your son was a beneficiary on his policy? He may not have been, perhaps his new wife was his beneficiary. In that case, he gets none of the policy $$. If your son were a beneficiary, the life insurance company would be looking for your son.... and contacing you to file the claim, since you are his guardian (in most cases.)

Your son should receive part of his father's social security benefits.... the beneifts will be divided and distrubited among his current wife, and all his children.

At least, this is my understanding.

D

d8ddysgirl

Feb your are right. There is not statue to collecting these beneifts. If you know for sure your son was the beneficiary then the insurance compnay should have contacted you.

I would place a call to the Social Security office to see what the benfits were there. It also could be the wife is not letting on that he has another son.

Your son HAS to be named on the policy to be enititled to any benefits. He has to be named as a beneficary. You have no entitlement if he was not named just because he was your sons father.

I hope this helps.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"If you know for sure your son was the beneficiary then the insurance compnay should have contacted you."

That is true IF the son was a co-beneficiary and the other beneficiary has already filed a claim. If the son was THE beneficiary, then the insurance company is not going to know that there was a death until a claim is filed.

Dandy Don

Even though he may not be the beneficiary of life insurance, the father may have named him as a beneficiary to receive something from his estate. Check at the county courthouse probate court to see if a will has been filed--if it has been, you can request a copy of it. Normally the will is filed within 30 days of the death. If there is nothing there, ask the widow (by phone or by mail) if there is a will and to please send you a copy.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">