• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help me please !!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awells0726

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ga

I have a couple of questions:

First i am in Georgia , i work as a store manager of a retail/ cell phone repair store: i want to know if my boss can make me pay for damages to a customers device if it is broken when attempting to get repaired ( or even a part that was mistakenly broken) .

Two i am a exempt employee , they keep threating me telling me if i take time off to attend family funerals ect that they will not pay me while im gone . Would leave wednesday come back thursday. I am on salary.

If i am SUPPOSEd to work at least 45 hours a week with my job and i work 41 do they still have to pay me the same amount?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
i want to know if my boss can make me pay for damages to a customers device if it is broken when attempting to get repaired ( or even a part that was mistakenly broken) .

While in most states the answer would be no, he couldn't, Georgia has very weak wage and hour laws and even if technically illegal (and I'm not sure if it is illegal in Georgia), you might have difficulty finding any enforcement. You could try the US DOL - that's probably your best bet but it's not a slam dunk even there.

i am a exempt employee , they keep threating me telling me if i take time off to attend family funerals ect that they will not pay me while im gone . Would leave wednesday come back thursday. I am on salary.

In this case the answer is yes, they can do that. Even an exempt employee can LEGALLY be unpaid for full days off that you take for personal reasons. While many employers provide paid bereavement days, they are not required to by law and this is one of the few exceptions in which an exempt employee can go unpaid.

If i am SUPPOSEd to work at least 45 hours a week with my job and i work 41 do they still have to pay me the same amount? This question, as asked, cannot be answered. There are situations where the answer would be yes, and situations where the answer would be no. Even for exempt employees, this is not a carved in stone, yes or no question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">