• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help motel refused us a room and wont refund our money what can we do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kacie

What is the name of your state?Oregon
we booked a motel room last night online,and paid for it. But when we got there they refused us. so we asked for a refund from the site we booked thru, they said they couldnt help it had to come from the hotel, when we asked the hotel they told us no. is there any legal recourse we have to get our money back??

Just Blue

we booked a motel room last night online,and paid for it. But when we got there they refused us. so we asked for a refund from the site we booked thru, they said they couldnt help it had to come from the hotel, when we asked the hotel they told us no. is there any legal recourse we have to get our money back??
Why were you refused a room?

kacie

when we got there, the lady at the desk said we needed to give her 150.00 deposit because i used a prepaid visa to pay for the room online

FlyingRon

You're likely out of luck then. You should have read the terms carefully. If you don't check-in with a credit card, you're often going to find these things. The hotel is entitled to their money. It's not their fault.

PayrollHRGuy

when we got there, the lady at the desk said we needed to give her 150.00 deposit because i used a prepaid visa to pay for the room online
It is not unusual at all for there be a deposit or credit/debit card on file when you get a hotel room. I'd be very surprised if it didn't say that somewhere on the site you booked from.

kacie

it says nothing on their site about requiring a credit card , and thats what i have is a prepaid visa

kacie

also, we stayed there many times and never been required to have a deposit
they just hold my card for incidentals

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Now that I think about it, it appears that you used a third-party booking site and not the hotel's site. You are going to want to refer to the terms for the hotel, not the third-party site.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It depends on which of these entities you have the ultimate contract here, the site or the hotel. And that turns on how the site operates and what the hotel's relationship is with the site. Start by reading the terms of service of the site you used to determine what you agreed to when using that site.

kacie

but we booked thru priceline

Inside the lobby of travelodge it says if you are paying with cash there is a 100.00 deposit, but i used my prepaid visa not cash and she said we needed 150.00 CASH DEPOSIT

PayrollHRGuy

but we booked thru priceline

Inside the lobby of travelodge it says if you are paying with cash there is a 100.00 deposit, but i used my prepaid visa not cash and she said we needed 150.00 CASH DEPOSIT
A prepaid visa would be the same as cash because they can't put a hold on it like they can a CC. Why didn't you just let them charge the card for the 150?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">