• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! My 4 year old hurt someone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gronnies

I have cleaned and locked out a Laundromat for 11 years. I'm not employed by the Laundromat as I am self employed. At times I take my two children ages 3 & 4 along with my mother to watch over them. They play pushing the laundry carts around like cars. I never let them run with them. But last night, before I noticed what was about to happen, my 4 year old ran into a male customer,(about age 30) hitting him in the leg. He reacted in pain, said he may have to take time off from work. When leaving, he was limping. Am I responsible for the actions of my minor daughter? If he were to go for damages, I think I would be responsible not the owners of the Laundromat, because I am self employed. Is this true? I have no insurance for this kind of matter. Please let me know the laws on this matter. I live in the state of Ohio. Thank You.
[email protected]

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gronnies:
I have cleaned and locked out a Laundromat for 11 years. I'm not employed by the Laundromat as I am self employed. At times I take my two children ages 3 & 4 along with my mother to watch over them. They play pushing the laundry carts around like cars. I never let them run with them. But last night, before I noticed what was about to happen, my 4 year old ran into a male customer,(about age 30) hitting him in the leg. He reacted in pain, said he may have to take time off from work. When leaving, he was limping. Am I responsible for the actions of my minor daughter? If he were to go for damages, I think I would be responsible not the owners of the Laundromat, because I am self employed. Is this true? I have no insurance for this kind of matter. Please let me know the laws on this matter. I live in the state of Ohio. Thank You.
[email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt that a 4 year old pushing a laundry cart could cause major permanent injury to a 30 year old adult male, but I guess it is possible. Since it was an accident, the Laundromat owners Property and Casualty insurance would step in. This would be the case even if you were an employee of the business rather than an IC. Next time you see him, monitor him to see if he shows any signs of injury. If he files a claim, he may be all washed up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">