• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! My landlord is retaliating against me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dvasbulique

What is the name of your state? New York

My preferential rent lease is going to expire.
My landlord has offered me a new lease at the legal rent.
It is clear that he is retaliating against me for filing a government complaint for needed repairs.

What are my chances of winning this in court?
I cannot request a trial jury but i can have government and his records subpoenaed...hopefully proving that I am the only tenant paying the full legal rent.
This is his way of evicting me since he has to offer me a lease since I always pay my rent on time. He knows that I can’t afford the legal rent…if I could I certainly wouldn’t be living in The South Bronx

Any lawyers or better yet judges out there who can advise on what to do or what my chance are of winning this case.
Also i need someone who knows and has even used the retaliation defense and/or rebuttable presumption.
ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.
Lastly would this be a holdover case or a non-payment case?

south

What are you on about?????

Your lease is expiring and the landlord is offering you a new lease at the 'legal' rent, so why is this retaliation?

Tenants in a building do not all have to be paying the exact same rent.

If you cannot afford the rent then move the landlord is not a charity nor is he supposed to be subsidizing your hardships. :rolleyes:

Dvasbulique said:
What is the name of your state? New York

My preferential rent lease is going to expire.
My landlord has offered me a new lease at the legal rent.
It is clear that he is retaliating against me for filing a government complaint for needed repairs.

What are my chances of winning this in court?
I cannot request a trial jury but i can have government and his records subpoenaed...hopefully proving that I am the only tenant paying the full legal rent.
This is his way of evicting me since he has to offer me a lease since I always pay my rent on time. He knows that I can’t afford the legal rent…if I could I certainly wouldn’t be living in The South Bronx

Any lawyers or better yet judges out there who can advise on what to do or what my chance are of winning this case.
Also i need someone who knows and has even used the retaliation defense and/or rebuttable presumption.
ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.
Lastly would this be a holdover case or a non-payment case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">