• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help- Neighbors from .....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pics4u33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

We have a neighbor (who rents the property) who feels he does not have to live by the covenants of the neighborhood. He is also very abusive verbally. He has threatened physical violence to my husband and my children (running them off the road with their bikes). We have the police involved in those areas, but he just won't stop. He has his entire 'toy' collection parked all over his property. We have tried talking to him about it, but he just becomes verbally agressive and inappropriate. We have contacted the owner of the property and he doesn't want to deal with it because he had originally bought the home as an investment and feels he got screwed. We built into a covenant protected neighborhood so we wouldn't have to deal with this type of crap. We spent a year breaking our backs to build our home to have to look as his boat covered by a huge canopy, his garbage cans, his jet ski and his business equipment everytime we are outside. Do we have any legal recourse since we have tried the approach your neighbor standpoint?

Shay-Pari'e

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

We have a neighbor (who rents the property) who feels he does not have to live by the covenants of the neighborhood.
He is also very abusive verbally. He has threatened physical violence to my husband and my children (running them off the road with their bikes). We have the police involved in those areas, but he just won't stop.
Take your police report and file a protection order against him is an option. He has his entire 'toy' collection parked all over his property. We have tried talking to him about it, but he just becomes verbally agressive and inappropriate.
We have contacted the owner of the property and he doesn't want to deal with it because he had originally bought the home as an investment and feels he got screwed. We built into a covenant protected neighborhood so we wouldn't have to deal with this type of crap. We spent a year breaking our backs to build our home to have to look as his boat covered by a huge canopy, his garbage cans, his jet ski and his business equipment everytime we are outside. Do we have any legal recourse since we have tried the approach your neighbor standpoint?
Have you spoken with the president of the HOA? Only he can deal with the owner of the property. You need to go through your HOA.

MoneyShot

As an HOA president, I agree. The HOA can pursue legal action against the homeowner. Landlords are generally instructed to provide copies of any and all covenants to their renters, and are bound to have the tenants abide by them. Fines may be issued that will get the attention of the homeowner and prompt him to take action against his renter when it's costing him hundreds of dollars a month. Also, enlist the assistance of the police as suggested. Document every encounter and ask for help where possible. In our neighborhood, the HOA has control over the lots (via the CCRs) and the County has control over the streets. If vehicles in violation are on the streets, call the police for enforcement for inspection or registration problems. Lather, rinse, repeat, as needed. (I now know the dispatchers on a first name basis as I make all calls for our neighborhood when residents report a problem.)

The local zoning office or government "neighborhood services" of your area may also be of assistance. Check the zoning regs carefully and ask for help for inoperative vehicles, boats stored on a lot, business operated out of a residence, etc.

We have handled several problems with a combination of the above and it's worked every time. Turn up the heat and they'll come into line or leave. For every temporary resident I've pissed off, there are 20 homeowners who have thanked me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">