• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Please - Issue With Client & Possible Check Fraud / Contract Breach

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zddoodah

When we file for small claims, do we put just the check amount or do we ask for punitive damages in the initial filing if fraud is found?
You can't get punitive damages in small claims court. However, if you had read Civil Code 1719 (to which I provided a link), you'd know that you may be entitled to treble damages, which you can get in small claims court.

kalvarez

Does notifying the client's real estate broker have any bearing on anything? Is there any point of notifying the broker of any pending litigation?

zddoodah

Does notifying the client's real estate broker have any bearing on anything? Is there any point of notifying the broker of any pending litigation?
No. If I were the broker/agent, depending on my mood, you'd get one of the following responses: (1) I'd ignore you; (2) I'd ask, "and this matters to me because...?" or (3) "I acknowledge receipt of your notification. However, in the absence of a properly perfected judgment or other lien or service of a writ of execution or attachment, your allegation that Mr. JoeBlow owes you money is of no legal relevance to this transaction."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">