• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Please-made the mistake of leasing to a colleague

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EMiles08

Essex County, New Jersey

Earlier this year I rented the top of my home to my colleague, I have had non stop issues since :eek:. I don't want to renew her lease in March. What verbiage can I use that won't be offensive and what's the proper verbiage? I know that sounds stupid, but I still have to work with her and was hoping to end her lease as peaceful as possible

Last edited:

johnd

Colleague? And you cannot arrive at the proper verbiage?
You cannot get creative?

How about "Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, I am not able to renew our lease and require your move out by _/_/_. I sincerely regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and truly hope to stay in touch and remain friends. And... (yadda, yadda, yadda)."

EMiles08

john your funny, yes colleague or should i have said co worker? words instead of verbiage lol but thanks

johnd

john your funny, yes colleague or should i have said co worker? words instead of verbiage lol but thanks
I like the fact that you're not too heavy EMiles. Good for you.

Bottom line: the core of the message is unchanged. Yes? And the personalness you wish to attach depends entirely on your relatinship with your colleague. Cheers.

Who's Liable?

No direct words need to be given as to WHY a lease is not renewed. OP does NOT need to give or offer a reason.

Simply state the lease will terminate at the end of the existing lease and tenant needs to move out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">