• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help please! Need advice, recommendation on services!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I’am in VA, C/S order was established in Va. Father (Non-custodial, ordered to pay support) He moved to Somerset, Pa. He was paying C/S. Father then moved to Morganton, Nc (with wife- reconciled) I had found out he moved there-(social media) I paid a service to do a reverse search, and got the address. I notified Va, and Pa of his new address. This was back in Jan 2017. Pa closed out case, and Va sent C/S case to Burke county, Nc. Burke county “apparently” has been trying to serve father to no avail. He has been ducking/dodging, no responding opening the door to be served. Any mail, well his wife would write return to sender, doesn’t live here. Her social media says different. (Pictures of the father all over her FB) Well as of today, father owes $6,740.00. No attempt to make a effort, job? Well he works under the table. Received a letter the Burke county closed the case, as they stated, they didn’t have a good address on father. I can assure that’s the address, it’s just they can’t catch him to serve. Apparently he doesn’t have to come to va when I filed before, cause he lives out of state. So I have to go out of state to Nc. Fine! I would love any recommendations on a process server, or PI company, to get him served. Sad it has to come down to this. It’s a felony, on the amount he owes. I don’t know if I can file contempt on him in Nc, since it wasn’t established there? My whole thing is I need to get a court date, wouldn’t Burke county C/S come show up and serve him in court. It’s been done before I’am sure. Any help, comments, referrals for a process server, PI, lawyer, anything will help. Also can a process server, lawyer file court papers on my behalf, so I wouldn’t have to drive 5-6 hours? Also wondering if I can ask a judge to be reimbursed for all and any fees, I had to pay, to hunt him down. He knows full well he can make payment to Va C/S, but plain refuses to. This has to stop with the non-custodial parents not taking care of their half. The child suffers. As far as visitation or contact, he has abandoned his child. Fine by me, I don’t want a parent that comes in and out when they want. I’ve been very patient! I have never taken him for a review in the 14 years he has paid (well when he did). Looking for any/all advice. In VA, father in Morganton, Nc. Thanks so much!

He seems to work for any local Window World that is in his area, under the table. If not for that company, he will find work threw someone working under the table. He has always worked under the table, since being ordered to pay child support. I would estimate his income about $1,000.00 a week.

HRZ

The IRS gives modest rewards for accurate information about folks who work off the books wo reporting same to Uncle Sam .....one of my attorney friends with IRS says the best leads come from ex wives and lovers .

May not help you directly but IRS may liven up his life a bit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP doesn't even know for sure that the guy is working...a report to the IRS doesn't seem proper in this case.

Last time I was told he owed the IRS 10,000.00, and that's been years ago. That's another reason, besides child support why he works "under the table" so the IRS wont garnish his checks. I remember he had worked for some window/siding company, and one or two of his checks were garnished, and that's when he quit that job, and went back to working where ever he could, under the table. He doesn't even file a 1099!

The OP doesn't even know for sure that the guy is working...a report to the IRS doesn't seem proper in this case.
Question? Would you happen to know of any sites/services that are pretty accurate of locating someone? I've paid for reports on People Finders, and Instant Checkmate.

Zigner

Question? Would you happen to know of any sites/services that are pretty accurate of locating someone? I've paid for reports on People Finders, and Instant Checkmate.
Sorry - that is not the purpose of the forum. You may wish to use your favorite search engine.

Zigner

Last time I was told he owed the IRS 10,000.00, and that's been years ago. That's another reason, besides child support why he works "under the table" so the IRS wont garnish his checks. I remember he had worked for some window/siding company, and one or two of his checks were garnished, and that's when he quit that job, and went back to working where ever he could, under the table. He doesn't even file a 1099!
How are you so familiar with his finances? Also, the employee doesn't file a 1099 - that's the employer's job.

Sorry - that is not the purpose of the forum. You may wish to use your favorite search engine.
Oh...Ok, I'am new on this site, and I thought you could ask people questions as this, and if the person knows then they will pass along advice. Maybe I'am confused on what this site is?

Zigner

We are here to give general advice on specific legal matters. The posters here, with some exceptions, are not attorneys, rather, we are simply fellow consumers who have "been around the block", so to speak. Giving referrals to commercial sites is not only outside the scope of this forum, it's actually forbidden by the terms of service.

How are you so familiar with his finances? Also, the employee doesn't file a 1099 - that's the employer's job.
I'am familiar with his finances, because the guy who prepared his taxes was a friend of mine as well, we had a few friends in common, and also in a small town everyone knows your business, he also put it out there. Also I know because when he decided not to run from taking care of his support the first time around, we did a conference call over the phone, as the other parent moved to another state. We both had to discuss our employment information/income. Now he has moved to another state, and ducking and hiding, so child support hasn't been able to serve him papers to start the support in the state he is now in, and I think I came to the wrong site for advice/direction?

Zigner

I don’t know if I can file contempt on him in Nc, since it wasn’t established there?
You have to file for contempt in the court that your case is in. That means YOUR state.

My whole thing is I need to get a court date, wouldn’t Burke county C/S come show up and serve him in court.
Not likely. You may wish to have a friend with you to do it (if he even shows up, which is doubtful).

Any help, comments, referrals for a process server, PI, lawyer, anything will help.
N/A

Also can a process server, lawyer file court papers on my behalf, so I wouldn’t have to drive 5-6 hours?
Perhaps, but you're not going to be filing papers in NC. EDIT: To be clear - your court matter has not moved out of your home state. The enforcement of the order may have been moved, but not the order itself. Your court matter is still in VA.

Also wondering if I can ask a judge to be reimbursed for all and any fees, I had to pay, to hunt him down. He knows full well he can make payment to Va C/S, but plain refuses to.
You can ask. There's no guarantee it would be granted.

I'am familiar with his finances, because the guy who prepared his taxes was a friend of mine as well, we had a few friends in common, and also in a small town everyone knows your business, he also put it out there. Also I know because when he decided not to run from taking care of his support the first time around, we did a conference call over the phone, as the other parent moved to another state. We both had to discuss our employment information/income. Now he has moved to another state, and ducking and hiding, so child support hasn't been able to serve him papers to start the support in the state he is now in, and I think I came to the wrong site for advice/direction?
You have to file for contempt in the court that your case is in. That means YOUR state.

Not likely. You may wish to have a friend with you to do it (if he even shows up, which is doubtful).

N/A

Perhaps, but you're not going to be filing papers in NC. EDIT: To be clear - your court matter has not moved out of your home state. The enforcement of the order may have been moved, but not the order itself. Your court matter is still in VA.

You can ask. There's no guarantee it would be granted.
I filed papers here in Va, where the support order was established. When I went to court, I was told that he didn't have to come, as he was in another state. The judge dismissed! I have been told by a lawyer years ago, that where ever the support order was established is where papers are supposed to be filed.

Zigner

I filed papers here in Va, where the support order was established. When I went to court, I was told that he didn't have to come, as he was in another state. The judge dismissed! I have been told by a lawyer years ago, that where ever the support order was established is where papers are supposed to be filed.
The case originated in the home state of the child and should remain there. I don't know who all these "I was tolders" are, but things are confused in your case. You should speak with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">