• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help regarding house - not in our name...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostTXchick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have looked around and so far nothing tells me what I am looking for. I also am not sure if I am in the right forum??

I have several questions, but I'll start with the main one for today. We Been married for 19 years now. My 1st and only marriage.

Last year we were renting a house. The owner didn't pay some of the payments. So we got evicted. Before this, my husbands grandmother had passed and the funds from her stock were being distributed. Well, they weren't going to be available in time for us to move. My my father in law took out a loan on the house, signed all the papers into his name. After the stock funds were distributed, everything went into his name.

He took the funds due my husband and paid off the note - no funds were EVER put directly into my hubby's name. I have ALL the loan papers and the deed - but everything is in father in law's name. Even the county sends the tax bills here in his name. The insurance is in his name. No one knows yet I have the deed; it's not opened - but it's here.

So now, hubby and I are over. I am still living here - looking for work after 3 years. He has a new girlfriend and her son lives here and goes to school with my kids. Kids are all Sr's and Jr's in high school. It works, but getting old. Hubby is going between two homes right now - leaves here on weekends and shows back up Tuesday or Wednesday for a few. He pays all the bills and we have groceries, so I am not "hurting" right now.

So... as you can guess... I need to know if there is anything that can be done to get something out of this house. Those funds were always supposed to be for our retirement. When we moved in a year ago, I thought we were set and good to go...moving forward with our life. He's actually been seeing the other woman for about 2 years now - and they are ready to move forward. I am ready to move on myself.

Thanks for any advice or direction.
lostTXchick

TinkerBelleLuvr

So, if I read this right:

1. YOU have no ownership in this house. Relatives of the husband have ownership, right? nope - you have nothing in this deal.

2. Am I reading this right? Your HUSBAND'S GIRLFRIEND's child lives with you/ uses YOUR address? Oh geez ... kick his sorry tush out, NOW. He and the GF deserve each other. You deserve better than that.

There is life after kicking out womanizers, okay?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So, if I read this right:

1. YOU have no ownership in this house. Relatives of the husband have ownership, right? nope - you have nothing in this deal.

2. Am I reading this right? Your HUSBAND'S GIRLFRIEND's child lives with you/ uses YOUR address? Oh geez ... kick his sorry tush out, NOW. He and the GF deserve each other. You deserve better than that.

There is life after kicking out womanizers, okay?
As it is the marital residence she cannot kick out her husband without a court order.

CourtClerk

As it is the marital residence she cannot kick out her husband without a court order.
Don't forget that since it is technically her STBX father in law's home, it is more likely that SHE will be the one moving once the divorce is final. He took out the loan, the loan was paid back with inheritance money that wasn't comingled.... she's screwed.

TinkerBelleLuvr

True OG - quite true. I couldn't kick his sorry tush out either. I should have known that one. Sorry but I allowed emotions to run with this one.

BUT, nothing says that she has to allow the husband's GF's son to live with HER either. Seems to me that child should be living with mom or dad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">