• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help--Speaking to adjuster tomorrow, specific question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ccoffman

Chicago, IL
I was involved in an accident recently. I got an estimate and faxed it to their insurance company. I just got a call from an adjuster about 20 minutes ago. He wanted to see the car tomorrow. He said if he agrees with the estimate he will cut me a check on the spot... This is not what I want! What if it turns out to be a conservative estimate? And, more importantly, the repairs will take approximately 7 work days according to the body shop. I have an hour commute to work. I would need a rental. I can't afford that. Will I be out of place to demand that they provide me with a rental car? Many thanks in advance...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ccoffman:
Chicago, IL
I was involved in an accident recently. I got an estimate and faxed it to their insurance company. I just got a call from an adjuster about 20 minutes ago. He wanted to see the car tomorrow. He said if he agrees with the estimate he will cut me a check on the spot... This is not what I want! What if it turns out to be a conservative estimate? And, more importantly, the repairs will take approximately 7 work days according to the body shop. I have an hour commute to work. I would need a rental. I can't afford that. Will I be out of place to demand that they provide me with a rental car? Many thanks in advance...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You can certainly ask if they will authorize a rental car. The only question left then is, will they?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

P

peter

[ Well you didnt state if it was a one car accident or was the other guy at fault?

If it was a one car accident, you are NOT entitled to a rental car UNLESS you have it listed on your insurance and pay a few $ each year for it.

P

peter

yes you did........as long as you accept the check thats all you get, if you dont like it then get a lawyer.....

The question is.....is the other driver at fault? Then YOUR insurance company should handle this and get a rental car, and bill them for it.

C

ccoffman

yeayea its The Other Guy's fault. I doubt his insurance company's adjuster would be prepared to write me a check otherwise. The car was parked when it was hit.

Can I have the body shop bill the insurance company in anticipation of the actual costs exceeding the estimate?

I found something at the Illinois Dept. of Ins (www.state.il.us/ins/auto3rd.htm) that says the insurance company is obligated to "reimburst" me for rental. I guess this means I have to have the cash on hand for a rental otherwise I get to take public transportation for 7 work days. Right?

C

ccoffman

My car was parked at the time. A kid sideswiped it trying to parallel park. That may be what you mean by "one car accident"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">