• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help w/ I-765 & I-131

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maria1980

What is the name of your state? fl

Hi, does anyone can help me with

1) form I-765? I am currently under OPT aplying for adjustment of status based on marriage, so in the question... I am applying for... Permission to accept employment; Replacement; or Renewal of my permission... which should I choose?

2) form i-131... Advance Parole...Part 3 in bold letter says If you are applying for AP document... skip to part 7... does it mean that I do not have to answer 4, 5, part 4?? thanks.

FLMommy

maria1980 said:
What is the name of your state? fl

Hi, does anyone can help me with

1) form I-765? I am currently under OPT aplying for adjustment of status based on marriage, so in the question... I am applying for... Permission to accept employment; Replacement; or Renewal of my permission... which should I choose?

2) form i-131... Advance Parole...Part 3 in bold letter says If you are applying for AP document... skip to part 7... does it mean that I do not have to answer 4, 5, part 4?? thanks.
1) I-765, you are applying for RENEWAL.

2) I would assume so, but I can't answer this q for sure.

maria1980

oh, I am confused... I called to USCIS some days ago, they said I should choose permission for employment because of different basis, any tougths? thanks..

FLMommy

You already HAVE permission to accept (study-related) work. You are marking the 3rd option "Renewal of my permission to accept employment". It also says "attach previous employment authorization document" - see that? When you got your OPT, the card was attached to a letter. Part of the letter is a strip you can tear off and send in - it has your a no on it and all.
The person you spoke with on the phone was wrong.

maria1980

Thanks for the advice. Also, I want to ask you about form i-485, I am applying under option H) other basis of elegibility... married to US citizen while a student in the US... in the instructions it says to send supporting documentation, I am attaching a copy of my marriage certificate, is this enough? thanks.

FLMommy

It should say exactly in the instructions what you need to send them. Read ALL the instructions. Yes, you need to send your marriage cert. but much more than that also, like your birthcertificate, copy of your passport, copy of I-20, I-94. etc, etc. Just make sure you read ALL the instructions.

I was in exactly the same situation, and attorney filled the form out for me and yu are NOT applying for renewal, you are applying for initial, because OPT is different... at USCIS at the interview I was told the same thing, I now have a green card

FLMommy

yandresuk:

That's funny. I was in the same situation as well, was told it was a RENEWAL (OPT is not different, it's an ead), received my work permit (new EAD to accept ALL types of work) within 60 days, and everything was fine at the interview.

FLMommy

Well, markign renewal didn't go wrong for me, and marking the other option didn't go wrong with the other poster, so I don't think you need to worry about it either way. They'll figure it out. I'm sure people make unintentional mistakes on their forms all the time and they're used to it.
I would still mark renewal simply because the back of the letter your EAD was attached to (did you happen to save it?) says to tear off a portion of that form when applying for renewal of your EAD. It wouldn't say that I guess if you couldn't renew, know what I mean? Do you know what form I am talking about? It should say something like: "We recommend you keep this notice in a safe place for your future reference. It shows your INS "A" or "N" number, which is your INS account and file number, and it also has other important information.
This top tear-off portion of this mailer can also help speed your later application for another card. When you file for another card you attach the top tear-off portion to your completed new application."
Either way, you should be ok. Please don't worry about it! Just make sure that whatever you mark, you send them your copy of your EAD and other supporting documents you might need. They'll know what to do!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">