• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help with a case grandparent coerced daughter to hand over custody out of fear.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If your daughter gets a safe home, a job and exercises her visitation as well as shows she is not on drugs, she could get custody back. The Ninth District Court of Appeals has been very clear on it. You don't have a slam dunk case at visitation however. Your daughter does and your rights flow through hers.

t74

Have your DD see if the law clinic at your local law school can be of assistance. Also have her see if any of the legal assistance programs for low income individuals can assist her or refer her to an attorney who will work with her on fees and a payment plan.

She should do what she can to have the child in an early childhood program (such as Headstart) as soon as she qualifies. These teachers are mandated reporters and will make referrals to child services if they note signs of abuse. Have DD make sure (as far as she is able legally) the child sees the pediatrician on schedule as these people will also report signs of abuse.

Your DD's problems need to be addressed both legally and using community resources to support and protect the child while this is occurring. Your DD needs to be in counseling; she needs to "mother up" and take charge of her life. If she cannot care for herself physically and emotionally, how can she properly care for a child who will be in a contentious family situation. She needs to get a physical so any health or substance abuse issues are taken care of. This will be useful to prove she does not abuse drugs if this is indeed the case. You mentioned opiods; this is a serious problem nationwide. Your DD needs to address the root case for her taking any prescriptions by getting as healthy as possible thrrough diet and personal care/exercise. She needs to be proactive and not reactive.

Don't you do the work of setting up assistance; sit with her and show her what she needs to do so that she develops the ability to function as a self sustaining adult and a capable parent.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Have your DD see if the law clinic at your local law school can be of assistance. Also have her see if any of the legal assistance programs for low income individuals can assist her or refer her to an attorney who will work with her on fees and a payment plan.

She should do what she can to have the child in an early childhood program (such as Headstart) as soon as she qualifies. These teachers are mandated reporters and will make referrals to child services if they note signs of abuse. Have DD make sure (as far as she is able legally) the child sees the pediatrician on schedule as these people will also report signs of abuse.

Your DD's problems need to be addressed both legally and using community resources to support and protect the child while this is occurring. Your DD needs to be in counseling; she needs to "mother up" and take charge of her life. If she cannot care for herself physically and emotionally, how can she properly care for a child who will be in a contentious family situation. She needs to get a physical so any health or substance abuse issues are taken care of. This will be useful to prove she does not abuse drugs if this is indeed the case. You mentioned opiods; this is a serious problem nationwide. Your DD needs to address the root case for her taking any prescriptions by getting as healthy as possible thrrough diet and personal care/exercise. She needs to be proactive and not reactive.

Don't you do the work of setting up assistance; sit with her and show her what she needs to do so that she develops the ability to function as a self sustaining adult and a capable parent.
The law school does not handle Domestic cases. She can call the Akron Bar association and they can set her up with a consult for $30. The daughter that is. The daughter also cannot enroll the child in Headstart as she does not have custody. Nor can she make sure the child goes to a pediatrician. The issue is mom willingly lived with these people before she agreed to custody.

Furthermore, she doesn't need to diet and exercise to get custody returned to her. That is not what this is about.

t74

I realize mom cannot do it but she can encourage those on good terms with the custodian to encourage the custodian to do these things. An older person caring for a toddler/preschooler would likely appreciate having the child in an outside program. The preschool will require (or provide) healthcare. If there is the possibility of poor care or abuse, having the child in a supervised situation is a non-confrontational way to insure the child's wellbeing. If mom regains custody - physical and/or legal , she should be sure to take advantage of available programs.

DD's current problems arise from her inability to take charge of her life in the past. At the time, she was apparently unable to negotiate the "system" and is now in a place where it is harder to undo what has been done than to have done it better to begin with. There are likely many good reasons she was in that position when the other grandparent took charge. Having health problems of any kind greatly impact a person's ability to handle new and stressful situations making it far easier to be manipulated by a "stronger" personality which sounds like the case here.

I am concerned if there are accusations of drug abuse that there may be unresolved legal issues especially if any of her exs or associates have been involved with illegal activities.

She can also prepare to be a great parent by taking advantage of the classes at local social service agencies; classes in strategies to cooperate with the other parent would also be of benefit. She should be prepared to counter claims that she cannot parent by showing that she is making an effort to develop these skills. I wish I had known when my children were little what I know now - and am still learning; I did not have access to these resources, and my parents drew up during the Depression and did not know what was becoming available to direct me when my kids were much smaller. Young people do not appreciate the resources they can now access, but they have to know where to find them.

IMO, DD need to get a job and file for both visitation and to pay child support to the custodian or if she is now in arrears from an existing order, to make an effort to clear these up.

If DD feels good about herself physically, mentally and emotionally then she will be empowered to deal with the legal issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">