• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help with lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whoisonfirst

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OR

I recently retained a lawyer for Chapter 7 in Oregon. Now, I am starting to wonder if I chose the wrong person.

When I have questions, the lawyer replies with terse, one-word answers, leaving me more confused than before. I would understand if my questions were merely clerical, but they are not. I am seeking legal counsel - not a pencil-pusher.

For example, I asked about what it meant to reaffirm a certain debt for a store credit card. The only thing charged on the card was clothing, since that is all the store sells. I wanted to know if I would be paying high interest and payments, or if I could reaffirm for a smaller principle and interest or redeem for a lump sum ... The only answer I got was "reaffirm or surrender." There was no explanation to satisfy my questions.

Also, I received my petition in the mail today, and it was littered with errors - despite the fact that I had provided detailed and meticulous forms, along with written documents detailing certain issues.

Then, I found out he has only been practicing bankruptcy law since 2003 ... Yikes.

Is there any hope of receiving a refund? I think I might want a different attorney.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

whoisonfirst said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OR

I recently retained a lawyer for Chapter 7 in Oregon. Now, I am starting to wonder if I chose the wrong person.

When I have questions, the lawyer replies with terse, one-word answers, leaving me more confused than before. I would understand if my questions were merely clerical, but they are not. I am seeking legal counsel - not a pencil-pusher.

For example, I asked about what it meant to reaffirm a certain debt for a store credit card. The only thing charged on the card was clothing, since that is all the store sells. I wanted to know if I would be paying high interest and payments, or if I could reaffirm for a smaller principle and interest or redeem for a lump sum ... The only answer I got was "reaffirm or surrender." There was no explanation to satisfy my questions.

Also, I received my petition in the mail today, and it was littered with errors - despite the fact that I had provided detailed and meticulous forms, along with written documents detailing certain issues.

Then, I found out he has only been practicing bankruptcy law since 2003 ... Yikes.

Is there any hope of receiving a refund? I think I might want a different attorney.

My response:

Get another attorney, and THEN fire your current attorney. Let you new attorney demand a full refund from your current attorney.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">