• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help with life insurance policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stanlee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My mother was paying a term life insurance policy for her ex-husband for a good 15-18 years or so, during and after marriage. when the premiums increased she called Americo to see if she was still the beneficiary. she continued to pay it after the divorce for 4-5 years. Americo refused to tell her if she was still the beneficiary. she decided to stop paying it. it seems like he died a week before or a week after she stopped paying. i had to keep refreshing window to catch glimpse of date behind the paywall on one of those ssi death index sites. i have his official date of death. i called company they told me the date policy lapsed. im afraid they know when he died and could be lying to me on the phone. do we have a foot to stand on. at least get the premiums back. continuing to pay it with verbal agreement from ex-husband but no assurance. also how do we go about getting the official end of policy and death certificate. i dont know much about law but it seems dodgy to take the premiums and not tell her if shes beneficiary or not. any help will be greatly appreciated. i can give more details if needed. thanks

justalayman

The owner of the policy, the named beneficiary, and a few other persons (possibly an ex-wife if the divorce decree stated a policy was to be continued or purchased for the benefit of the spouse and a few other persons) would have a right to this information. Insurance companies do not have to release information to anybody else so unless your mother fit one of the above, she won't be given any information.

The insurance company doesn't care who paid the policy. Different people pay for different reasons. It isn't up to the insurance company to make those determinations.

Was her ex husband required by the courts to continue a life insurance policy with your mother named as beneficiary?

stanlee

she was the named beneficiary at least until the divorce. wasnt an ugly divorce seemed ok. if they wouldnt tell her does that mean mostly likely he changed the beneficiary?

no nothing in court

thanks justalayman

how/if possible can we get the official end of the policy date on paper? we got the letter with the date but i lost it of course *grumbles

Last edited:

stanlee

stephan thanks for answering. he died in nov of 2012 i think it was '13-14 when i looked into it. sol , statute of limitations or what i think it means $%^& out of luck?

FlyingRon

All she can do is report the death. If she is the beneficiary, a check should come her way (if the policy was still paid up at the time of his passing).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">