• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help with property tax penalties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

markcaste

Hi, I live in california and own my home outright. Paid cash for my home in 2009. I have fallen behind on paying property taxes and the county is trying to charge me a "redemption penalty"???? Id like to know what that is? the amount is just about the equivalent of 3years property tax fees. Can it be removed? And lastly if this "redemption penalty is not paid, can they take my property and auction it off as they have threatened to do.

thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi, I live in california and own my home outright. Paid cash for my home in 2009. I have fallen behind on paying property taxes and the county is trying to charge me a "redemption penalty"???? Id like to know what that is? the amount is just about the equivalent of 3years property tax fees. Can it be removed? And lastly if this "redemption penalty is not paid, can they take my property and auction it off as they have threatened to do.

thank you
The redemption amount is not 3 years of property tax fees. What you are looking at is penalties that have been accruing. Those are separate from the (relatively small) redemption amount. Two counties I researched (Sonoma and Orange) have a $15 redemption amount.

Here is the information on requesting cancellation of the penalties in Orange County. Your county may differ, but this should give you an idea as to how to find the information:

http://ttc.ocgov.com/proptax/infofaq/penalties

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">