• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


stacy from chicago

i've been working at my current job since 6/99. i was promoted to asst. manager at the end of july/beginning of august. of course it takes time to process paperwork & raise info for a promotion, but it took them 6 weeks to give me my raise. during that time i was acting as asst. manager. in the beginning i was promised retro pay for that time. i've since received my raise, but i was just told they will not give me retro pay. am i entitled? is there any law that protects employees in this situation? please let me know if there's anything i can do. OH! the company owes me $280. if that makes a difference. please let me know, you can also email me: [email protected]


Henry T

My guess is that this is not a good employer and the matter is sort of petty -- on both sides.

You really have 2 choices. First, explain why it is in their interest to pay you, and convince them, or second quit and take them to small claims court or ask the state labor board for help. Either would end your career there as a practical matter and generate a BAD reference.

If they owe yuo money for something they should pay you -- that's separate fromn the change in role.


You may want to contact the state department of labor to see if they handle wage disputes, as they do in CA. If so, then file a claim with them. Also, check your employee handbook for information about promised retroactive pay raises, etc. A verbal promise to pay by a manager may or may not be binding on your employer in your state. Good luck!

Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential