• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? GEORGIA.
My exwife has custody of my 3 kids but my 15 year daugter wants to live with me .she dont want to go back . Can she live with me without me getting a lawyer and going back to court?

J.McMullen :confused:

Whyte Noise

Senior Member
No. The only way to do it legally is by going back to court and filing for a custody modification. There is hope though. In Georgia, at the age of 14, a child can decide which parent they want to live with, so long as that parent hasn't been proven to be unfit.
From O.C.G.A. 19-9-3 Section (4) "In all custody cases in which the child has reached the age of
14 years, the child shall have the right to select the parent with
whom he or she desires to live. The child's selection shall be
controlling unless the parent so selected is determined not to be
a fit and proper person to have the custody of the child."

But, you'll still have to file custody modification paperwork, and have it signed by a judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential