• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lrich

What is the name of your state? michigan
I have recently began having financial problems and have started getting collection calls for a bill. When they called me for payment they didn't let me even try to set up a payment arrangement. They wanted all of the balance or nothing and threatened to turn it over to the lawyer saying I was refusing to pay the bill. Do I have any rights when a bill is sent to a collection agency? They were really nasty about the whole thing and I don't know what to do from here. The place where the bill is from agreed to a payment arrangement but the collection place said that since it wasn't with them it didn't mean anything.

Ladynred

YES, you have rights, and plenty of them ! The Fair Debt Collections Practices Act governs collection agencies and what they can and cannot do, including threats and verbal abuse, is clearly set forth in the Act.

Go to www.ftc.gov, go to Consumer Protection, then Credit. Look for the FDCPA and READ it well, learn what it says and you will have the tools that you need to tell this collector to kiss-off.

Their threats are all bark and little or no bite. It is the way these scum suckers do business.. by intimidating uninformed debtors to scare you into paying. You CAN shut them up.. go read the ACT.. pronto :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">