• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? CA

My mother passed away November 15th 2003, and owned outright a mobile home and property which was appraised @ $33,000 dollars. My father passed away 4 years ago, and I am the only child. I have read (but to no complete conculusion) that the probate laws claim since the estate is worth less thatn $100,000 I do not have to go through probate. Is this correct? Do I have to see a probate attorney to file the paperwork? Since I live in Orange County, and she lived in Kern County, can I file the paperwork locally or does it have to be in the county she resided? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dandy Don

Senior Member
The $100,000 limit is just a guideline that assumes a majority of the assets are monetary/financial. In your case, since this is real property where official legal ownership must change hands to the new heir, then probate is going to be required for the mobile home. Your situation is so unique that you need to be discussing it with a local probate attorney--normally probate is done in the county where the death occurred.


Thank you

Thank you for the advise. I really had no clue on what to do, but you have guided me in the right direction. Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential