• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annie01957

What is the name of your state?State of Texas
Prior to my marriage, my then boyfriend and I were told that I was to receive money from my fathers life insurance policy. However, I kept asking him if there was ever anything in the mail and he said "no". Time passed and we were married. Friends, as well as his mother always said that I had a savings account, but I always laughed it off. When I divorced my husband I took a few things and gave him the bulk of the estate. He says that the money is his and I do not have any rights to it, yet, the only way I found out was through old friends and then I never even knew the amount. My sister recently recieved her money in the amount of $18,000, and I am at best upset about an inheritance that I never knew I had. I believe this to be fraud. This has been a great number years ago and I just now figured out what was happening all those years ago. He probably put this money into interest bearing accounts. He has called me during the years always saying that he had something for me, but that if I did'nt know how much it was for he was not going to give it to me. He wants that money for himself. My question is if I did not know about it and he defrauded me, does he get this in the divorce? And what type of lawyer do I need to get. I do not even know the insurance company it came from. In my marriage I trusted my husband and one time signed the back of a check because he asked me to, but I never knew what I was doing.

TexasBlues

Wrong

All you need is a Family Law lawyer. Get one, and NOW! An inheritance is not up for grabs in a divorce, or marriage. Texas law specifically states that the two things that neither spouse has a right to is anything you owned before the marriage, and any inhertited money and/or property no matter when you receive it (before or after the marriage). Record anything that this jerk says to you. Also file a fraud report with your local police, telling them the entire story and who it is that you suspect. He is playing with fire...at least a couple federal felony charges, plus an half decent divorce lawyer is going to make him fry! Get your head out of the sand and do something!!! It might seems scary but it's really very easy. Read a little about the Texas family code. It's easy to understand and educating yourself about what you are going through and how to solve the problem is the best gift you can give to yourself. Stop being reactive and start being proactive. Get what is yours and let the law take care of an abusive jerk!

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">